Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ending on an UpWard note

I mentioned before that my daughter did UpWard Cheer this year.

I think she enjoyed it most of the time and, of course, my little man wants to try his hand at dribbling next year!

Last Thursday was their end-of-the-season celebration. A motivational speaker, awards, pizza. All good stuff.

We weren't going to go. She had a scheduled softball practice that night and because of poor timing with weather, her team has only had about three practices. Games start in the next week or so. So, I felt she needed to honor that commitment instead.

But it rained some more and we quickly shifted plans.

I really had not paid much attention to the details of the event. I knew something about a former Harlem Globetrotter speaking, but not much else.

In the end, I am really glad we got to go. We got to hear Seth Franco share some of his story, encourage those that were in attendance, and do some really great tricks with a basketball.

The cheerleaders were on the front row, so she got a close view of the action. And despite little man's sudden earache onset, he enjoyed the show as well. We stayed through the awards before heading out to attend to his pain. Everyone got really cool backpacks with a free meal coupon and a DVD of the season. We will also be getting a 5x7 picture of her cheer team with Seth.

You can read more at Seth Franco's website.

I also found this good article telling more of about Seth Franco's story.

Here is a fun video showcasing Seth' talents.

I am glad she got to participate in the program!

Stacey

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Stacey,

For mentioning Fabric.com on your blog, I have a special gift for you and your readers.

At your convenience please call me at 1-888-455-290 ext. 214 or you can email me at tracy@fabric.com.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy Jackson
Affiliate/Donation Manager

Jennifer said...

Isn't Seth awesome? Since my hubby is the director of Upward at our church, he is in charge of securing our end of the season entertainment. Seth was ours season before last. He was so amazing. And to top it off, we got to go out to eat with him afterwards. Ruthi absolutely adored him and he was really enjoying the affection she was giving him...but it was making him miss his own daughter. We just sat and listened to him for the longest time...his life stories and insight are amazing. So glad you got to experience him!

Mandy said...

Sounds like a very fun and insightful evening!