Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Gremlins stole my pillow!

We are having some sleep issues around here!

She started having some sleep fears last year. Remember the whole sleeping with all the lights on thing?

Then, over the course of months that my husband lived out of town during the week, I may have cultivated a bigger problem.

We are not family bed people, but I allowed some co-sleeping during that time.

Some nights, it was for basic survival after a long day with two kids. It got dark early and I took full advantage of getting the kids asleep early as well. Other nights, it was a bit of pure selfishness on my part. Getting them both asleep at the same time allowed me the time I needed to regroup for the next day.

It actually all started the night our furnace wasn't working and it was COLD! We all snuggled together in mommy's bed!

They sure did make great bed-warmers by the time I went to sleep!!

And all those nights I have accidentally fallen asleep while laying down with my daughter at bedtime?

Yea, that probably doesn't help much either.

None of it happened every night. But I guess it happened enough.

This was the morning scene from our bedroom a couple of weeks ago.

He apparently came to our bed some time in the night. I only vaguely remember suddenly losing sleeping space. Apparently, she took her place quietly on the floor some time later in the night. She has finally learned NOT to wake her daddy after making several trips downstairs to our room since we moved in. She is having some new fears about sleeping upstairs by herself.


Oh look! He is waking up.


"Go away Mommy!"

Back up again.

"Don't take my picture!"

Oblivious.

"What is all that noise?!"

"Do I have to get up?"

"I need some coffee."


OK, she doesn't need any coffee! But I certainly did!

Stacey

6 comments:

loni said...

With some serious but loving nudging, they will find comfort in their own beds.

When any storms came through when I was a child I would go to my sister's room and make a little bed like your daughter did on the floor.

It cracks me up that you took those waking up pictures. I love them! :)

p.s. I will try to email you soon!

mamashine said...

Mine go to sleep in their own beds, but sneak into mine in the middle of the night when my husband is out of town. And there's nothing loving about my nudging in the middle of the night, so she's learned to be really quiet. I just wake up in the morning and she's there. If he's home, she makes a bed on the floor like A did. If he's not, then she's in his spot.

I've given up trying to do anything about it.

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

We've struggled with the same issues off and on for years. And when we moved, my kids were also nervous about sleeping upstairs while we were still awake and downstairs. They got over it fairly quickly though and now all is well...If you consider Daniel ending up in Emily's room every night well.

Hey, at least it isn't my bed!!!

Miss Notesy said...

I totally know what you are talking about. Our kids end up in our room all the time. We've started laying out blankets on the floor so they can just go to their "nests" without waking us.

Jennifer H. said...

Well, I think you should reclaim the master bedroom if it isn't being used!! ;-)
Love you!
Jenn

Jennifer said...

oh no, I hate nights like that! Hopefully it will get back to normal again soon.