Thursday, May 15, 2008

In the words of the great Kermit the Frog,

"It ain't easy being green.".

I read a couple of articles in the last two weeks that peaked my curiosity. Then yesterday, I watched a couple of the Green Smoothie Girl's how-to videos.

Then, as you can see, I got a wild hair.



Yes, while picking up a few things from the store, I grabbed a couple of bunches of both kale and collard greens. And let me be perfectly clear, I have NEVER purchased that stuff before in my life! Once home, I washed everything. And then I stared at this huge pile on my counter. Then I called my friend and questioned my sanity.

So, here is the honest truth. It has potential. Now, what I made (and what you are looking at!) does indeed look a little frightening, but it really was not that bad. I basically made it up as I went along....a few leaves of each, juice, milk, protein powder, strawberries, banana, vitamin shot.

It only mildly tasted like grass! ;)

And my kids looked at me like I was speaking in tongues (which I don't!) when I offered them a taste!

Since I can't fork over $400 for a juicer/ultimate blender right now, I will just have to continue to play with the recipes. She shows you a cool Hot Pink Smoothie that I might be able to pass off on my kids! She also talks about going heavier on the fruits as you work on increasing the greens. We already do fruit smoothies and my son loves to sneak sips of my protein shakes, so I think we can do this! And of course, they will never learn of all my other sneaky ways!

At the end of the day though, the green smoothie still is not this!


Seriously, have you tried this stuff?! It is like chocolate mousse!

Grab a spoon!

Stacey

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'll have to check that site out. And, if you have not read Gorgeously Green yet, you must! I am almost finished and don't ever want to put it down. It's great!!

Kristen's Raw said...

Great job!

Tell your kids they're "Incredible Hulk" Smoothies and make crazy sounds when you drink them or something - haha - or I tell my nephew it's Swamp Mud :)

Just add a little more fruit to nip the green taste out of it.

I love adding cinnamon and nutmeg to mine (nutmeg is great with strong leafy greens) and I love cinnamon with almost anything - LOL.

Cheers!