Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blue

In an effort to not be the totally boring Mom this summer, I told the kids we would go out and pick berries on Monday.

My dtr's first question and #1 concern was about whether or not the berries were poisonous.

My first indication that it is quite possible she has seen one too many princess movies!

Other than that, they were both excited.

We got extremely lucky because it was overcast on Monday and even the humidity did not show up until after we were done picking.

We headed out to The Greer Farm and discovered large berry fields, a huge lake, and a great piece of property that offers much more than just berry picking! I was excited to learn that we could even eat the berries off the bushes because they are organic people!

In the fields, they provide picnic tables, fresh cold water, wagons, picking buckets, and bags to load up with berries. I was so proud of the kids because they were real troopers and did a great job helping me. We covered 2 rows of blueberry bushes and 2 rows of blackberry bushes. They actually managed their own buckets of blueberries and then assisted me while I picked blackberries from the thorny bushes. Some of the blueberry bushes were so full in places that I simply set by bucket under a branch and gently racked lush blueberries off into the bucket!

In the end, we gathered enough to make 12 cups of blackberries and 26 cups of blueberries! All for $27!! $2.75/pound of blueberries and $2.25/pound for blackberries! That is CHEAP! I may even go back for more soon as the picking will end in about 10 days.

After cleaning and storing all the berries, baking some pastry shells, and making some homemade whip cream, we enjoyed a real treat Monday night!





Stacey

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like fun! I don't like blueberries, but my kids love them. They like to eat them from the freezer. I love blackberries and we used to have them growing in our backyard. But they haven't in the past few years - I miss them! I love to make blackberry cobbler. Looks like you will definitely be enjoying some yummy treats!

Someone Being Me said...

Awww...that looks like so much fun. I look forward to doing stuff like that with Bear when he gets a little bigger.

Rachel said...

I would send you Peaches from Stratford if you'll send blueberries. Come visit me at http://4rsinthehouse.blogspot.com/
Keep up with that "chipper" phone message!!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was a good deal! They look yummy!

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun!! They look delicious too!

Emily and I went strawberry picking a few months back (obviously before we moved!) and had a great time. What a fun mom you are!

Jennifer H. said...

Yummy! I have always wanted to take the kids to a you-pick farm. Kaylee was spoiled last summer in Alaska where blueberries grow everywhere. My bil and sil had many, many blueberry bushes in their backyard. We would go out back in the morning and eat them right off the bush. Everyday Kaylee's mouth would be bright blue. We thought about getting some blueberry bushes, but we weren't sure if they would grow in Texas heat.


ENJOY!!

Melissa~ said...

Wow, looks like fun! My kids love blueberry muffins & bread. Maybe we should try to get out there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I have been so busy and not been blog visiting or commenting, but I'm trying to get better!

♥ Melissa~
Pink Paper Peppermints